Special Education Would Get Big Boost Under Biden Proposal

“The federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, enacted in 1975, guarantees students with disabilities the right to a free public education appropriate to their needs. The law requires that the federal government cover 40% of the cost, and states, counties and school districts pay the remaining 60%. But the federal government has never met the …

It’s Time to Accept That the Point of School Has Changed

Schools, parents, and students are all doing their absolute best to maintain social emotional connections and academic instruction during remote learning. If you need more support with social, emotional, executive functioning, and/or learning skills during this time, please let us know. We can be reached at either 408-439-1111 or info@turningpointsed.com. At Turning Points, we help …

COVID-19 and K-12 Students with Disabilities: Initial Guidance

Today we turn our attention to how school closures and remote learning affect our Special Education population. Here’s an article summarizing legal implications, which are continuing to change. https://perryzirkel.com/2020/03/20/special-supplement-covid-19-and-k-12-students-with-disabilities-initial-guidance/?fbclid=IwAR2H_mFE_7kjf8NkTTxvjEucKbHLeJFtCYlUUnU-KJabMEgeBkg1ozpZWIE

Telehealth and Children: 20 Free Minimal Supply Activities

This article is geared toward mental health professionals that are providing Telehealth services. It provides helpful information about how to effectively provide Telehealth as well as some great activities to use with clients during Telehealth sessions.  https://www.meehanmentalhealth.com/the-playful-therapist-blog/telemental-health-and-children-20-free-minimal-supply-activities?fbclid=IwAR3BjtJvd5npKgK0Uo78URvdrUPQF-i9cOCv6Rv0D7adti8auevUt6LQK7g

Learn About Children’s Fund of School Psychology

By Turning Points Educational Solutions on

The Children’s Fund of School Psychology provides grants to help with disaster relief, meet student’s basic needs (glasses, etc.), and improve access to mental health resources/supplies in schools. Check out their website and Facebook page for more information. https://www.childrensfundofschoolpsychology.org/home

Texas A&M just opened state’s first college program for students with intellectual, developmental disabilities

Yay, Texas A&M! We also have some similar local options through College of Adaptive Arts. https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/texas-a-m-u/texas-am-just-opened-states-first-college-program-for-students-with-intellectual-developmental-disabilities/287-cabeb464-7607-405c-8750-ab2e8270b173?fbclid=IwAR0dxVVIBzzaSyGXMPqQIaanj2W81VqknCSCScf4140hDdW2Y4iaKdcoec0